Leppington is a suburb of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. Leppington is located 55 kilometres south-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government areas of the City of Liverpool and Camden Council. (wikipedia)
The area now known as Leppington was originally home to the Darug people. It was named after a property called Leppington Park granted to William Cordeaux in 1821. Cordeaux used convict labour to build a two-storey mansion and to work in his fields. The house unfortunately burnt down in the 1940s but some of the bricks from the house were re-used at Leppington Public School.
The suburb could easily have become Raby. The first land grant in what is now Leppington was made to Alexander Riley in 1810, who named his property Raby. The property was subdivided in 1914 and a school established in 1923, called Raby Public School. Leppington Post Office opened on 12 February 1924.
In 1955 the name of the school was changed to Leppington Public School, possibly inspired by the bricks they inherited from William Cordeaux’s mansion. The suburb has been known as Leppington since then. Ironically, Raby Road which connected the property to Campbelltown would later lend itself to the modern suburb of Raby.
Places of Interest
No Data Uploaded