Turramurra is a suburb on the Upper North Shore of Sydney, in the state of New South Wales, Australia. It is located 17 kilometres north-west of the Sydney central business district, in the local government area of Ku-ring-gai Council. (wikipedia)
Turramurra is an Aboriginal word which is thought to mean either high hill, big hill, high place, or small watercourse. The Aboriginal reference of high hill covered the range from Pymble to Turramurra. Early European settlers referred to the area as Eastern Road.
The name Turramurra was adopted when the railway station was built in 1890.
One of the early local landmarks was Ingleholme, a two-storey Federation home in Boomerang Street. It was designed by John Sulman (1849–1934) as his own home and built circa 1896. The house was part of the Presbyterian Ladies College (now the Pymble Ladies’ College) until 1977 and is now on the Register of the National Estate. It is notable as an example of John Sulman’s style.
Turramurra Post Office opened on 16 August 1890.
St Andrew’s in Kissing Point Road is an example of the Federation Carpenter Gothic style. In 1932, Lewy Pattinson, founder of Washington H. Soul Pattinson, gave the Presbyterian Church in NSW the land for Mission Hall, at what is now 106 Kissing Point Road. In 1936, ownership was transferred by Pattinson to St Margaret’s Presbyterian Church, Turramurra.
A Turramurra East Post Office opened on 1 May 1959 and closed in 1993. The Turramurra North Post Office opened on 1 September 1953.
North Turramurra and South Turramurra became separate suburbs on 5 August 1994. (wikipedia)
Places of Interest
No Data Uploaded