Corindi Beach

Corindi Beach, pronounced Cor-in-“dye” although Cor-in-“dee” is widely used recently, historically also known as Pipeclay Beach until a name change in 1954, Corinda until a forced change to be provided postal service to avoid confusion or by Red Bank as Corindi River was formerly known, is a beach and small seaside farming town located on the Mid North Coast of New South Wales, Australia. The village is situated 33 kilometres north of Coffs Harbour and 50 kilometres south of Grafton. (wikipedia)

The original village of Corindi is slightly north along the Pacific Highway at Post Office Lane and Casson Close. Corindi means “grey” in local indigenous language referring to the pipeclay on the beach.
Corindi is surrounded by the Tasman Sea to the east and the Pacific Highway to the west. The 30° south latitude line runs just north Corindi Beach.

It is the site of the Yarrawarra Aboriginal Cultural Centre which provides information on the Gumbayngirr Aboriginal people’s history and customs.

Presently and traditionally Gumbaynggir land for at least 6000 years, possibly 20000 years, based on recent research.
1840 An out-station of Captain John Pike’s (a captain in the 73rd Regiment and multiple station owner from the Hunter Region) Glenugie Station.
1863 Corindi Station came to James Devlin after Pike’s death.
1879 Corindi Station sold to Samuel Cohen (the first Mayor of Ulmarra).
1880 Land selections by settlers (including first by Casson on 22 July
1883 Cohen’s general store.
1884 School opened.
1886 Casson’s mail and passenger coach.
pre-1888 Casson’s Accommodation house.
1901 School moved to Upper Corindi location.
1909 Corindi Co-op Cheese Co cheese factory opened.
1909 Recreation and Racecourse Reserve gazetted.
1911 Corindi Public Hall opened.
1913 Corindi Cemetery gazetted.
1915 Corindi Public School moved to current location at Corindi Beach.
1915 Richards’ ‘Corindi Crossing’ Subdivision south of school.
1941 Simmons’ ‘Pipeclay’ Subdivision of Pacific Street
1962 Electricity connected
1980 Highway deviation west of town making Coral St a local road.
1980s Corindi Dam created.
1980s Yarrawarra Aboriginal Corporation established.
1986 Amble Inn opened
1980s Subdivision of inside of Pacific Street.
2002 Corindi Park estate subdivision
2007 Corindi Beach estate subdivision.
2015 Pacific Highway upgrade re-alignment further west starts.

Aboriginal Culture
The Gumbaynggir people have lived on this land for at least 6000 years. The lands extend from the Nambucca River in the south to the Clarence River in the north
The Yarrawarra Corporation was established in the 1980s. The corporation created the Aboriginal art gallery and museum on Red Rock Road to share the local traditional history and culture.
Muurrbay Aboriginal Language and Culture Co-operative has recorded the local language to enable it to be taught.
Locally significant areas include Red Rock Headland, No Man’s Land, The Old Farm, Arrawarra Fish Traps, Old Camp (Pipeclay Lake). (wikipedia)

Places of Interest
No Data Uploaded